About Eva's Intimates
Eva Thongpool and Marcin Nowak are two young and successful entrepreneurs that with their hard work, great energy and a genuine interest in people have created one of the largest web shops for underwear.
It all started as a test, "Let's try if we can sell lingerie online". Marcin had experience in IT and marketing, and was a specialist in search engine optimization. Eva had a a background in trade and service and believed that "customer service and customer care can always be better."
When they started in early 2008 they had literally their stock in their own closet. But before long, they needed to expand and "come out of the closet," says Marcin, laughing at the memory of his own closet crammed with lingerie.
The demand for lingerie in different shapes, materials and sizes were bigger than expected. The company has grown. New staff was hired and now it has an office and a large warehouse in Gävle, Sweden.
What is the secret behind the success?
– There's really no secret. We work hard and have acquired suppliers from all over the world to meet our customers' requirements and preferences. We are good at IT and search engine optimization. And we have a very good and understanding customer service which is the reason why many customers to come back to us and buy again, says Eva Thongpool.
She has a Thai surname. She came to Luleå in Sweden as 13 year old and had to learn Swedish quickly and went to school. A new life in a new country very far from the Thai daily life.
Marcin Nowak has his roots in Poland. He grew up in Södertälje in Sweden before he ended up at the Luleå University of Technology and eventually met Eva.
– I was so surprised that this tender Thai girl was so brave, says Marcin with a laugh.
They are careful to point out that Eva's Intimates is a serious company with a product stock that they can be proud of and selected by themselves. There are clear limits for how ‘adult’ products are allowed to be.
– We don't think it is strange that people want to have nice underwear. Regardless of size, gender, ethnicity or religion, says Marcin.
– We treat everyone with respect and stay open-minded. Adults can wear what they want. Variety is fun, he adds.
Where is EVA's Intimates heading?
Work on EVA's underwear takes them out into the world on various trips to meet suppliers and find new products that can be added to the already extensive range.
– Travelling is fun and something that interests us both. It's also where we often find new collections that we can offer to our customers. A place that we are watching a little extra is Los Angeles, reveals Marcin.
– The thing that pops up there is often a trend that also reaches us in Sweden.
So far, female underwear stands for the largest share of sales. You can see EVA's current product selection.
Product selection for men is more limited. But satin underwear and satin bathrobes are selling well and there are actually girdles and corsets for men that can make them look a little slimmer if necessary.
– We accept only good quality products. This is why we might seem a bit expensive compared to the discount stores. But shopping on the web is different. From a customer's point of view, the products must be the same as our images and texts promise. And we make sure it's really like that. We are careful to really help all customers. We take plenty of time to answer all kinds of questions!
Text: Anders Ellqvist (EVAs Underkläder- Magazine 2011)